- The loads supported by the CRYODECK Suspended Insulation Support Deck are:
- Dead Load - The deck structure, panels, fasteners, accessories, etc.
- Insulation Load - uniformly distributed load
- Live Load - uniformly distributed load on the interior of the deck and the perimeter plates.
- Concentrated Load –load representing six workmen applied to (12") square areas at any location for installation purposes
These loads are supported by three mechanisms:
- Membrane Panel Stress: The relatively thin aluminium panels ( or deck skins ), which supports the load in nearly pure tension. Uniform loads are transmitted to the closest support clamp beam while concentrated loads are transmitted in a radial pattern across a large area of the deck.
- Clamp Beam Bending: The loads transmitted from the deck panels are carried by the clamp beams to the nearest suspension supports putting the beams into bending. Depending on the beam location, the beam may be simply supported or may have two or more “spans” Also, the concentrated load may be located near the center of any of the clamp beams so that bending stress must also be considered.
- Suspension Support Hangers: The deck is supported by aluminium angle hangers from the steel outer dome roof. The distribution of these hangers is selected to connect to the outer roof’s rafters in a repeated pattern and to provide sufficient supports to maintain the clamp beam bending stresses below their allowable stresses and maintain an acceptable factor of safety for the hangers.
- The Suspended CRYODECK is assembled without welding using aluminum mechanical locking fasteners (Huck Bolts).
- The deck loads are supported by a stressed membrane design. The Deck can be easily and quickly assembled in the field using inexperienced workmen and without expensive erection equipment.
- This design uses proven technology from both the Internal Floating Roofs. The basic deck structure consists of three sets of clamp beams, similar to those used on our floating roofs, but with larger flanges. Each of these clamp beams are designed to “nest” inside the next so that the flanges can be easily fastened together.
- The design consists of radial clamp beams which are aligned directly under the radial outer roof rafters. Cross clamp beams which fit inside of the radial clamp beam flanges go across from radial clamp beam to radial clamp beam. Around the outer edge of the deck is a rim clamp beam that fits outside the flanges of the radial clamp beams. This allows the peripheral closure plates to be easily attached.